Somtimes it’s nice to go back to basics and make sure that all the technical art skills you learnt at college have not been lost.
Interestingly this is one of the few of my paintings that I prefer in it’s digital form.
Acrylic on Canvas 34′ x 25′
Created as a gift to replace an awful set of paintings I gave as a gift in the past. I’m much happier with these.
Created for part of my website re-write. This is update squid, guardian of the words.
Pencil Sketch: 2 hours
Photoshop: 4 hours
I really need to get faster.
Started as a large ink sketch in the middle of 2007. After the lines were finished (on A2), it was scanned and all the lines redone for clarity then little by little it was coloured in photoshop
Ink + Photoshop – 40 Hours
A lone tower on a hilltop. Acrylic on board
The ever fickle dice fairy. I did two versions of this image, this is the full colour one (and my favorite)
It probably won’t make much sense unless your into tabletop role play, Dungeons & Dragons and the like.
Photoshop – 9 Hours
This was my first real attempt to really colour using a graphics tablet, Its turned out pretty well but I’ve really got to get quicker.
By all accounts I think that this was probably a sequel that really should not have come about.
The humour that had been used in the first of the series was all but used up, so trying to squeeze another title out of it was never going to happen. This compounded by a significant dumbing down of the game mechanics and a shrinking of the game world led to ultimately to the less than perfect final result.
Perhaps we were all just a little burnt out from the epic SRS project.
My game engine code base has really matured over the last year as it’s feature set has had to match the needs of iO during it’s development. Finally I can really play with concepts as they pop into my head.
So, while I was finishing off the game progression aspects of iO a simple game idea occurred to me, and for the first time ever I could quickly throw that idea together into a game. After about 2 weeks of occasional spare time writing it and doing the simple artwork, Efficiency is the product of that idea.
It’s just a ‘beat the high score’ sort of game with a few elements you might find familiar if you’ve ever played Chu Chu Rocket. I think it could most easily be described as a puzzle game involving sliding blocks. Play it and see.
Note: Sadly this version contains a bug that prevents it from running on Windows 7. I’m in the process of fixing it as time permits. However, the bug is basically the entire sound system so it might be a while.
Small toy app to view the Mandelbrot set. Very limited functionality, right mouse button pops up the menu to start rendering and clicking on the image zooms to that location. addictive in a “ooh I wonder what that bit looks like” kind of way.
Mandelbrot is an OpenGL/Glut program if you don’t have glut installed get it here and stick the dlls in your windows/system folder.
By sketching repeatedly through layers and layers of fine tracing paper, this steadily went from a rough skeleton of a robot with a gun to the lines for what you see here. I traced the final lines onto a sheet of paper and shaded the result. I’m really quite happy with how it turned out.
Very cartoon (read “anatomically creative”) A piece of work from a many years ago now. It’s been said that she bares a resembalance to Lara Croft. I don’t mind but Its not intentional.
After a few months working in R&D for next gen platforms, I moved onto this project.
I was to take complete responsibility for all real-time special effects. At last a task that made use of a much broader range of my skills. That’s every sparkle, explosion, cloud, rocket trail and puff of smoke, from conception and artwork through to implementation. If its not already obvious, I really enjoyed this project.
Sadly the game as a whole was littered with ill conceived design decisions, marred by under developed handling and crippled by poor track layouts. As a result, the press mauled it. though nothing bad was said about the effects, which is at least a little positive.
My first complete personal game project for a long time.
After years of writing various aspects of my game and graphics engines I’d settled on a simple 2d engine that allowed me to play with idea nice and quickly. It features all sound for the first time in anything I’ve written.
The concept of the game is simple (which is probably why I managed to finish it) Beat the high score. Its a fast paced dexterity game in which you pick up bonuses and energy while avoiding all the obstacles (including yourself), aiming all the time to increase your Radius.
I’ve not included a download to this anymore because once it’s installed it’s pretty hard to uninstall. All my projects since this point have had more sensible install/uninstall processes.
I only spent about six months on this project, Working as a senior programmer rather than a lead (i.e. I didn’t manage anyone but myself).
I spent most of that time re-writing the interface management systems. Well before the end of the project I moved on to next-gen technology for shaders and effects. I think in general the finished game turned out to be a reasonable playable and tidy racer (complete with nice interface systems)
My first contribution to a commercial game Starting work for Eutechnyx.
I joined the project about half way through and wrote all the race AI and some of the frontend systems. Though not a commercial success, the game is special to me as the first game I could see in shops on the high street, pick up, open the manual, and see my name.